Friday, July 23, 2010

It's catching...

After spending a day perusing blogs from other men and women with the same passion for quilting and fabric arts as myself, I decided to give it a try. Show and tell has just become global! I am inspired by what I see others doing and hope to inspire someone else, or at least entertain for a brief moment or two.

Presently, I am in Colorado enjoying the cool mountain air. It is a hard decision each day whether to quilt or explore the outdoors. I fancy myself a photographer these days and enjoy trying to capture some of the beauty of mother nature that I see all around me. However, I do spend a fair amount of time playing with my fabrics and working on the 5 quilts I have in progress. Yes, I am one of those who gets about half done with a quilt and then sees another quilt I want to pick the fabrics for! Sometimes these fabrics will come from my stash, but usually it means a trip to my favorite fabric store, The Olde World Quilt Shoppe in Phoenix, AZ, to fondle, then possess new ones. Perhaps by sharing the progress of my quilts with others, I will be motivated to complete a few so they don't become UFOs. However, after looking at other blogger's posts, I want to start the hexagon flower garden! Oops, I am going in the wrong direction!





I did complete a wall hanging for our cabin from Liberty Homestead patterns. The custom hanger comes from Summer Sky Creations. My favorite style of quilting is small scale quilts. I love all things miniature. Besides, I have a better chance of finishing them, although I constantly remind myself that a small quilt can take as much, if not more, time to piece than a large quilt.






I occassionally will piece a larger quilt. This bed quilt is from Kim Diehl for our room at the cabin. How fitting it is a log cabin design for our log cabin home. And scrappy, I love scrappy.

Recently, my good friend, Lin, inspired me to design a small quilt that will be set in a medallion style with wool applique in the border. It is a fall themed quilt inspired by Fall Harvest, originally published in Quilter's Newsletter. So far I have pieced some of the first two borders. The blocks are 4" finished and are paper foundation pieced. The center will be 4 saltbox style houses. The borders will include the fruits and vegetables, mostly pumpkins, of the fall harvest. I will keep you posted with pictures of its progress.
This new adventure has taken the better part of my morning--a steep learning curve as I learn to navigate the site. Off to fix french toast for the breakfast crowd, and then we are hiking. More wildflower photo ops!...Cheryl

3 comments:

  1. Hi Cheryl, good to see you here! It's so nice to see you and your quilty stuff while you are still there. I love all the quilts you make, smaller and large onese! Can't wait to see new ones in person ;) Tamami

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was born in Colorado, on the western slope....Isn't it just gorgeous there? Your cabin seems just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea of tutorials. Reminds me of our beginnings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Love any comments you wish to share.

Fell Off the Wagon

 It was bound to happen. I had stuck to my guns until I saw Laundry Basket Quilts' pattern, Alaska Magic. I told myself,  "It is te...