Monday, May 16, 2011

Flying the Coop!

We are getting ready to make our summer journey north to cooler temperatures, and like a true blue procrastinator, I have tons of things to get done in the next few days.  It didn't help that a stomach virus knocked me for a loop this weekend, but I am back with a venegenance today.  Besides all the chores involved in leaving your home for months at a time, there are a few other pressing matters that need my attention.
First was getting the block drafted, made and the pattern written for this week's 1880 Sampler Quilt.  Oh, how I love this one.  These little detailed blocks are like a quilt in and of themselves.

Then I got distracted by a new book, Fat Quarter Winners, by Monique Dillard.
Added to the distraction was the arrival of Judie Rothermel's new line called the Bancroft Collection. A technique that oversizes and then custom cuts the units is right up my alley!  The Fit to Be Geese ruler and technique seemed like extra work until I realized that I am always checking the grid dimension and trimming up my flying geese even when I don't make them oversized, so this method does save me the time of marking diagonal lines on the backs of all those little squares. 

Since I missed work on Saturday due to illness, I will spend this morning finishing up the kits for these two projects from Country Threads.
I like to take some projects to do over the summer that will be shop samples at TOWQS in the fall. 

And if I have time left over today, I will head to Kinko's to do some copying for my Autumn's Bounty quilt pattern.  Yes, you guessed it.  I have left it to the last minute.  But honestly, I work best under pressure!

14 comments:

  1. Love the new block. You are right..each one is a quilt in itself. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine the preparation it takes to leave, but it sure sounds like a good plan;)
    I love your Country Threads patterns and the other blocks are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are right - I LOVE THIS BLOCK! I could never pick a favorite - they are all so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheryl, I have Fat Quarter Winners too - love to just sit and look at it - aren't those quilts, just so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful blocks ! I am looking forward to your pattern for Autumn Bountys.
    So glad you are feeling better ! Have a great trip !

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I get more accomplished under pressure.
    Love the new projects. I look forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful blocks! Pressure is sometimes the best motivater - I know it is for me - lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those blocks and that new fabric are a winner!! Where and how long for do you head north?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this quote from Leonard Bernstein:
    To achieve great things two things are needed - a plan and not quite enough time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love what you did with the blocks Cheryl. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great block Cheryl, and I love the blocks from the book Fat Quarter Winners! Isn't that line of fabric just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lucky you to get out of the heat, be sure to stay in touch. When we used to go to the mountains,I would make up all kinds of kits, when the boys would go fishing I would bring out my sewing machine. Loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely blocks Cheryl and that book looks like it has a lot of attractive projects. Have a relaxing break.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Lots to do! Your blocks are wonderful! I love the pumpkins pattern. I'll have to look for it :-) Enjoy your trip to cooler temperatures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Love any comments you wish to share.

Fell Off the Wagon

 It was bound to happen. I had stuck to my guns until I saw Laundry Basket Quilts' pattern, Alaska Magic. I told myself,  "It is te...