Friday, May 23, 2014

Cruising Along

We are on Day 5 of our AMB road trip and so far I am very impressed with the creativity of the bloggers I have met on my tour. 

Alabama is brought to you by Julia of Green Quilts. Julia is the author of the Hexie Blog I am following and has a very creative monthly hexie block to share.

The symbolic Pilgrim hat depicting Massachusetts is designed by Jen over at A Quilting Jewel.

The Maryland block was designed by Dawn of Spring Water Designs.

The South Carolina block is from Kristin over at The Crafty Quilter's Closet. Kristin has 3 giveaways, including a kit for her block.


The Virginia block is brought to you by the 'Voice of Quilting,' Pat Sloan. Her tutorial gives you three block designs to choose from.  I like the one with 3 Dogwood blooms.
The New Hampshire block has not posted yet, but you can check out what Victoria came up with over at  Parkhill Farm.

What have I been up to?
I have been helping my quilty friend, Cindy, accomplish her mission of making 100 quilts to gift to her stepson's Army Brigade when they disband this summer.  They are currently deployed in Kuwait.
We used a fun, fast, no fuss string quilt pattern to make the quilts.
These are two of the quilts made by Kathy and Cindy.
The blocks were made from strip sets that were the full width of the fabric, giving them a more consistent look.
Marilyn and I collaborated on this one.
These strip sets were made from fat quarters of fabric and therefore, it is very scrappy.
Interested in the technique?
Find the tutorial here.

Kathy and I used a different technique to make this one.
I saw the tutorial over at Butterfly Threads Quilting.
A little more effort, but I love the results!

We made a total of 8 quilt tops for Cindy.
I wish I had pictures to share of the red, white and blue beauties Bobbie made and a striking cheddar and teal rendition that Susan made from left over civil war fabrics.

Now I am off to help my Mother move from her home of 35 years into independent living.
Such an emotional weekend ahead.
Everyone have a safe Memorial Day weekend!

1 comment:

  1. What a special way to honor our troops. The quilts will touch the lives of some special people. Hope your time with your mom goes well. It's a challenging time for everyone.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Love any comments you wish to share.

Fell Off the Wagon

 It was bound to happen. I had stuck to my guns until I saw Laundry Basket Quilts' pattern, Alaska Magic. I told myself,  "It is te...