Thursday, September 18, 2014

Temptation!

So hard to resist!
I purchased this fabric up in Prescott months ago, and then I saw the Temecula Quilt Co.'s Back to School Sew Along, Little Letters.  Perfect quilt for gifting to my grandchildren!
You noticed I said grandchildren...plural!
My son is expecting his first child right around my birthday...a little boy.
I will make two of each letter each week and have two quilts when all is said and done.
Now that is a BOW I can handle.

And speaking of done,
'Snowbound,'
quilted and bound.
I used a stripped homespun for the binding and cut it on the bias.  I cut my bindings 1 7/8" wide and then slightly tug on them when sewing them on the quilt...something I learned from Carrie Nelson of Miss Rosie's Quilt Co.  
Well, I learned something new!  Cannot pull on a homespun binding cut on the bias...it shrinks.  Next time I use a bias homespun, I will cut the binding wider.

I will not meet my goals this month.  Life just gets in the way sometimes.  Last weekend I was in California for the estate/garage sale to help my mom downsize.  It was a huge success, but an emotionally exhausting experience.  On the day of the sale, we also learned that mom's home had sold, cash deal, 20 day close.  We could not be more blessed.  The home was built by my father, husband, and brother.  It was hard to say goodbye, although I had never lived in the home.

The one decision I have made is to focus on one UFO, Pennies from Heaven.
Here is my abbreviated version.
I have worked hard in the mornings getting all the setting triangles done.  Next step is to piece all the blocks together.  I have ordered the border fabric and will decide on what I will do next when it comes.  It just might be to stop here.  It will look lovely on the wall in my 'green' guest room.

This weekend I will be working at TOWQS to help with Shop Hop and then we will head back to Colorado to winterize the cabin, so I am prepping a lot of handwork, including finishing Penny Garland and working on Sunflower Gatherings.  
Back to work. The day is short.


14 comments:

  1. I found the little letters too hard to resist too. LOL Congrat's to your son and your family! Have a happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love Snowbound, and Pennies From Heaven is gorgeous!
    I cut my bindings a little smaller and tug, too, but not that small. What seam allowance do you use to sew it on?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Snowbound is wonderful...and so is pennies. Love the fabric for the baby quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations to your Son & family Cheryl ! What great news.

    That fabric is adorable and the letters are perfect. Can't wait to see these quilts when you are done.

    Snowbound is AWESOME ! I LOVE IT !!!!!!!

    Pennies from Heaven...... another beauty !

    You are really getting a lot of sewing done lately

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snowbound. Wonderful! Interesting seeing yours. I have the pattern but find yours looks much better than the pattern picture. I have some of the background fabric that you used and probably enough to do the same.

    The alphabet fabric is cute, cute. And you have good reason to be making two of the alphabet quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Snowbound is gorgeous! And Pennies From Heaven is certainly a stunner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great post filled with beautiful quilts and wonderful news. That is the cutest ABC animal panel. It will be fun and sweet when it's done for that new little boy. Okay, now I'm going to have to think hard about doing snowbound, cute as can be. Love the setting triangles on the Pennies from Heaven quilt. Lovely all away around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on another grandchild! I love the ABC patterns going around. Haven't made any yet, but am so tempted. Your quilts are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! The alphabet quilts will be darling I'm sure.
    Congrats on finishing Snowbound. One season ahead!
    Pennies from Heaven will brighten up any room. Even with the black it is very vibrant.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats!!!! How fun for your family. I steal time and have one set of letters in the making. I considered two...still might but been busy, busy. Love your snowbound!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I adore your start for the baby quilts! Congratulations by the way!!

    Your finished Snowbound is so cute! How fun to have a new quilt o display this winter.
    Good luck with your mum's move. Always a hard thing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The alphabet quilts look like fun projects, and congratulations on your very, very good news.
    Your other projects are lovely as always. Glad all your work in California was a success despite the heartache.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations to you and your family on the upcoming birth of the new baby!

    Snowbound turned out so FABULOUS!

    I look forward to seeing more of your progress on Pennies from Heaven in the near future!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am expecting my first grandchild (a girl) in January and am also making the Temecula Quilt Co little alphabet. They are fun and it has taught me that if I want to get these things done, it is best to keep up with the group and these are very "do-able"! Best wishes on your new arrivals!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Love any comments you wish to share.

Fell Off the Wagon

 It was bound to happen. I had stuck to my guns until I saw Laundry Basket Quilts' pattern, Alaska Magic. I told myself,  "It is te...