Monday, August 29, 2011

Fall, please come soon!

We returned home this weekend to a wall of unbearable heat....116 degrees. 
But I shouldn't complain...I'm not on the east coast dealing with Irene.
I pray everyone there remains safe.
Needless to say, I spent a lot of time indoors this weekend and finished this adorable shop sample by Country Threads...Pumpkins 4 Sale #220.
The girls at TOWQS have it kitted.

Also spent some time trying to applique the leaves on the willow tree in the very last block for my Autumn Houses quilt.  Learned a valuable lesson...don't change something that is working.
I had been using DMC 50wt machine embroidery thread for most of the applique, using just these 3 colors. 
Don't ask me what made me decide to switch to a 60wt. green Mettler thread, but I did.  The small stitches I needed to use were impossible.  So I switched back to the DMC and now those points are much easier to accomplish! Good thing, because I have over a dozen more of them to do!

Our dive trip to Florida Keys was a success, for the most part...
boy, their mosquitoes were obnoxious! 
Our daughter and her fiance.
Our son and his newly dive certified girlfriend...GO SARAH!
The younger crowd and my husband did a few deep dives to wrecks and had a blast.   I got up close and personal with a harmless 8ft. nurse shark and survived the onslaught of the moon jellyfish that plagued the surface of the waters.  But, I count our blessings that Irene left us unscathed.
That is me!

I am anxious to return to the mountains this week.  My favorite time of year, Fall, should be arriving there soon.  September is full of joy for us...our daughter will put her feet in the sand on Coronado Island in San Diego and exchange wedding vows with the love of her life! 
I have chosen a pattern for a wedding quilt, but it is all hand pieced, so they may get it on their 1st anniversary, OR maybe their 2nd.  
Hexies, here I come!

11 comments:

  1. Looks like you had a wonderful trip! But I agree, fall in the mountains is great-it is often the best time of the year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip photo's are beautiful!
    Congratulations on the upcoming marriage of your daughter :D
    Glad to see everyone had a wonderful time on vacation!

    P.S. Both of those quilt pieces are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome home Cheryl !

    You have been in my thoughts when I heard about Irene. SO glad you had a wonderful trip and that you and your family were safe. Love all your pictures ! Congrats on the upcoming wedding of your daughter .

    Fall is my favorite time of year and I just love that little wagon of pumpkins quilt you made

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home - I'm glad Irene left you and yours alone. Sounds like a fabulous trip.

    Love the wagon full of pumpkins - it's adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What sweet love in your family!
    It sounds like you had a wonderful time. Sorry the heat was your greeting coming home but yes, at least it wasn't a hurricane.
    Fall is my favorite time of year too though there isn't much change in the leaf color around here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The wagon is my kind of style for sure. Fall and prim. I have lots of Country Thread patterns but I don't think I have this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wagon is adorable!! And your Autumn House block is coming along beautifully. So glad to hear you had a great time diving!! What fun. Try to stay cool and I envy you returning to the mountains next month.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You mentioned preparing all of your applique pieces at once. I'm doing the same quilt and the windows are giving me problems--do you have any thoughts on how you do them? Do you have a tutorial on preparing your pieces for applique?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just love your Pumpkins for Sale quilt, just beautiful!!!
    Looks like you had fun diving, what a great experience!!!!! We're looking forward to Spring here LOL! had enough of the cold weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are going to be busier that usual this month, adding a wedding to everything else that you do.
    I was hoping to visit the US in the coming fall but alas it is not to be. Maybe next year. Love your diving photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad the hurricane didn't affect your trip. Sounds like you all had a great time.
    Your blocks are lovely - they put me in the mood for fall - along with this unseasonably and welcome cool weather we're having.
    Wow, a hexagon quilt with a deadline - even if it is somewhat flexible. I look forward to seeing what you have planned.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Love any comments you wish to share.

Fell Off the Wagon

 It was bound to happen. I had stuck to my guns until I saw Laundry Basket Quilts' pattern, Alaska Magic. I told myself,  "It is te...