Thursday, September 16, 2010

SAL #2-- 4" Bouquet block

Before I dive into Bouquet, let me mention the new button on the side of my blog. A designer is holding a blog hop that is Fall themed. Right up my alley! Please read all the instructions before cutting!
Cutting Instructions:

From the background fabric, cut the following:
a. (1) one 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square
b. (2) two 1 1/2" x 3 1/2" rectangles
c. (3) three 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" squares (you see 4, but only need 3!)

From the dark vase fabric, cut the following:
a. (1) one 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" square
b. (2) two 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" squares

From another medium (my cheddar), cut (2) two 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" squares.

Cut two more 2 1/4" x 2 1/4" squares of one medium and one dark fabric (my blues)

Pair the 2 1/4" squares as shown below. Draw a diagonal line on the wrong side of the lighter squares of each pair. Sew 1/4" on both sides of the line, then cut in half once on the drawn line to make 6 oversized HST units. Square to 1 1/2". If you do not want oversized blocks, cut your squares at 1 7/8".
Lightly starch the remaining 2 1/4" squares. There is that pesky extra background block again. Try to overlook him. I use starch to stabilize the threads when I have to cut squares in half on the bias. Do not cut until just before sewing.
Cut the starched 2 1/4" squares in half once diagonally to make HSTs. Arrange the HSTs as shown in the following picture. Sew them together and again square to 1 1/2".
Layout the units as shown in the picture below. You will have one HST unit left over. Assemble the block, and clip and collapse seam intersections as needed. Block should measure 4 1/2" square, 4" finished.
Now a word about fabric. I will use only two backgrounds for my blocks--a medium light (the tan in Block #1) and a light (the blue and white fabric in this block.) I have discovered that this helps quiet a busy sampler quilt without being boring. I will use each background 50/50. Remember that you all are taking this journey with me. There may be changes along the way as the quilt evolves. I have a picture in my mind on how this will look, but don't know what the final product will be until the end. So if you choose to join me, be flexible.


Now for a little fun! I love words and as a survivor of bonehead English in college, constantly try to expand my vocabulary. So every block will be accompanied by a 'big' word. I'll define it, use it in a sentence, and challenge you to find me a 'big' word. Send it to me in your comments and I will use it in my next blog. Now have pity. Don't find some scary word there is no way I can use in a quilting blog, ok!


Block #1's word is eschew--to shun or avoid. I eschew crowded places, especially tightly packed vendor's booths at quilt shows.


Today's word is pundit--a learned or authoritative person. I used that one in my last blog!


Just like the blocks, this is voluntary and I will not bend your arm to play, but I know Rosie and Lin will get a kick out of this. Have fun with the block and the word!

I apologize for the big spaces between lines. I don't know how to stop this from happening. If anyone does, please let me know.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my, block #2 already. What fun! One of my favorite words is serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, Rosie, a great word... and applicable! Aren't we glad to have Cheryl's quilting acumen available to us, as well as a opportunity for word fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That should have read "an opportunity..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cheryl, you make this so appealing and I am so tempted. But there is no time limit is there?
    Will definitely tune in for the new words and maybe try and use one or two in my blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a neat block, Cheryl. And the colors you picked are just wonderful. Thanks for the sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was so proud to have my first block made. Doing great here!! Number 2 already???

    Peer pressure - well, not really pressure. Just keeping up with Rosie?? We've bought Civil War fabric, a first for us. I think I need more fabric, more colors, to make #2. It will have to wait until next week.

    This is so much fun, Cheryl. I almost feel like you are here with us in Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss Kay,always the finisher of our trio as Alice always known at the producer. As soon as I arrange this big basket of preserved eucalyptus (green, red and basil in color) I'm onto these minis. Autumn in the air here in semi-tropical Houston.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. Love any comments you wish to share.

Fell Off the Wagon

 It was bound to happen. I had stuck to my guns until I saw Laundry Basket Quilts' pattern, Alaska Magic. I told myself,  "It is te...